Sunday, November 4, 2007

Investigative Reporting

Investigative reporting seems like something that would be so much work. The text basically lays out how one would go about writing an investigative report.

I feel like after Journalism Research we each got our own little taste of what investigative reporting is like, and I can say from my own personal experience, the text doesn't lie; it is not an easy thing to do. You need to be organized, know where / how to get the correct sources, and be persistent.

According the book, you need to have "courage" in order to be an investigative reporter. Investigative reporting is one of those things where you need certain information in order to make some stories work. You need to be persistent and willing to bother people, basically.

I want to say that, one day, this is the kind of journalism I want to do. However, I'm hesitant, because what aspiring journalist doesn't want to cover the "important", hard-hitting, investigative stories? The fact of the matter is, I feel like investigative reporting is something that you need to work your way up to. A "pay your dues" sort of thing.

For me, investigative reporting is basically the epitome of journalism. To be able to investigate scandals and inform people of corrupt government I feel would be extremely rewarding.

No comments: