Sunday, September 16, 2007

Chapter 4, Poynter's E-Media Tidbits, and Timelines

Chapter 4 was all about how quotes make a story and what makes a good quote. To be perfectly honest, it was a nice refresher. After J-Research I found myself using quotes that were far too long, or simply giving basic information in the form of a quote. Therefore, re-reading this information on what makes a quote good was good for me.

However, the section part in the chapter where a chef was quoted in the Arizona Daily Star did strike my interest. I always find it interesting that we are taught to quote the most interesting statements, but only if they will be received well. Again in the section about profanity. I feel that these sorts of things can really make a story and give it enormous color. Things like that sometimes make me a little cynical about journalism. For example, censoring your writing, or having it changed by an editor, etc.

Still though, the chapter did teach me a lot about how to add to a story through using quotes. I have a tendency to either not use enough quotes in a story, or use too many, or use quotes that don't have enough significance. From now on though, I am definitely going to try and focus on the quality of the quotes that I am using. I need to remember that some of the most interesting aspects of stories can be brought in through using good quotes.

On the other hand. . .

The Poynter's entries showed me a new, less cynical side of journalism. The idea of the RSS feed and the stories about one specific thing is a cool idea to me. To have the freedom to write about something that interests you and know that it is being read by an audience that actually cares about what you're writing about. I hope that that kind of journalism advances in the future. The second entry about blogging was also really interesting. It shows that digital journalism is really advancing in the world today and is having a major impact. Bloggers, are becoming more prominent, and blogging is becoming a form of journalism which, as the entry showed, can really have an impact.

The timeline was also interesting and showed how technology is helping to shape journalism. It also stressed accuracy in journalism. However, beyond that, I really just found it to be less informative, and more interesting than anything else.

No comments: